For those of you who know me, I FREAKING LOVE spray paint. Don't judge. I know everyone has their thing . . . this just happens to be one of mine.
Anyways . . . I follow a blog about home improvements and saw a post where Sherry and John had transformed some gaudy gold door fixtures into modern, ORB fixtures. I am OBSESSED with the ORB finish. It just looks so sleek and classy . . . and I feel as though this trend is here to stay for awhile.
Since I had already read this post, I thought ahead and already had the materials I needed on hand: steel wool and spray paint. Here is the spray paint I used:
So, armed with my screwdriver, I set out unscrewing the door from their hinges and taking off door knobs.
After unscrewing all of the gaudy goldiness, I went outside and roughed up all of the hinges and the doorknobs with my steel wool. Word to the wise . . . the steel wool is rough and kind of breaks apart when roughing up the fixtures. I would wear kitchen gloves or garden gloves or something . . . I didn't and my hands had little tiny pieces of steel wool in them . . . not the best feeling in the world, but maybe you are tougher than me! =)
After I roughed the fixtures and hinges up, I laid them on the ground outside at the base of my deck steps. I started the painting process . . . the key to spray painting is multiple, thin layers. This is serious. Take your time. Thin layers. Multiple layers. If you follow this formula, you are
If you follow this formula, you go from this . . . (BEFORE)
To this . . . (AFTER)
And a close-up [just because this was a decent amount of work and I owe it to the prettiness of my "new" doorknobs]
I was BEYOND ecstatic!!! Buying all new hardware is definitely one way to go but can add up QUICKLY.
Anyone else ever done something like this??
Looks great
ReplyDelete